Olé! Culture, music, comedy

This past Saturday night, the Rozsa Center and Michigan Tech featured an energetic show full of humor and music as the headlining act of MTU’s 2018 Parade of Nations event. Olé – a trio of hilarious and talented musicians, is composed of Paul Morocco, Guillermo de Endaya and Marcial Heredia. The trio kept both students and community members on their toes with the thrill of the music and the anticipation of what comedic act the men would perform next. The overall atmosphere of the Rozsa was one of amazement and excitement as the three talented musicians began their show.
Morocco, de Endaya, and Heredia entertained the audience with a collection of musical styles throughout the night.

The trio strummed expertly on their guitars at rapid speed, which is common for some of the music styles they featured, like flamenco. It was clear that Olé was no common group, however, as the skill and energy with which they performed with captivated the audience’s attention almost as quickly as the show began. On the musical aspect of the performance, first-year engineering student Dani Brown commented, “It was cool that they could play fast, like really fast. They were incredibly skilled.” They also performed music in the styles of blues and salsa, keeping the audience interested by showcasing their talents in the other common forms of music.

Perhaps some of the most comedic moments of the show stemmed from the incorporation of ping pong balls into the act. In a split second, one of the musicians would shove a ping pong ball (or two) into his mouth, then turn and spit them at the audience, causing the crowd to react in laughter and shrieking. Audience members scrambled to pick up the “souvenirs,” shoving the balls into purses and pockets alike.

Paul Morocco seemed to carry the energy of the group, whether he was spitting ping pong balls or throwing oranges. He exhibited his unbelievable juggling skills with pieces of fruit, which he then also launched out into the crowd to induce some audience participation. He interacted with the audience members that caught the oranges, making them part of the show as well. The audience remained attentive and energetic, as there was never a dull moment throughout the show. Morocco often flashed the inside of his cape at the crowd, revealing a bright red “Olé!” on the inside, representing the name of the musical act and the group Morocco himself started over 25 years ago. The audience, in turn, would yell back happily, “Olé!”

The show offered many students a peek into different cultures they might not otherwise become exposed to. The trio incorporated many symbols of their own heritage into the show, through both language and music. Nik Stojcevich, a first-year Computer Science student at Michigan Tech, stated, “It was an awesome show, I thought that it portrayed different cultures in a humorous way that was very entertaining.” For many first-year students like Stojcevich and Brown, this was their first time experiencing the Parade of Nations, and their first time viewing a show at the Rozsa.

As the headlining act for Tech’s Parade of Nations, Olé was a great addition to an already great tradition and brought the night of celebration to an enjoyable end.