School of Forest Resources and Environmental Science to host a forum on community safety

In light of recent incidents on campus targeting people of color and LGBTQIA+ communities, the School of Forest Resources and Environmental Science is holding a forum to promote safety, transparency and well-being in our community. The forum, “Decolonization and the Michigan Tech Experience” will take place at noon on Friday, April 20 in the SFRES Noblet building room 144.

As per the announcement, “We aim to cultivate healing relationships in our community, and to develop actionable items that individuals and our university can work towards. Our hope centers on creating preventative measures and a restorative environment that embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion of all identities at Michigan Tech.”

Decolonization is the process of unearthing the manner in which colonization was achieved and examining current acts of injustice associated with continued oppression of underrepresented communities. The forum is largely planned by students and aims to address the intersectionality of recent incidents across campus. Throughout the semester, we have heard of other acts of bias and racism across campus and students urge these issues be addressed in connection, rather than isolation. The incidents represent larger structures of inequality and institutional racism. Racism and discrimination come not purely from those who do not intend to cause harm, but also from structures and cultures. This forum scratches the surface of addressing hate-bias incidents on campus. Campus safety and validation of student experiences is a priority. All are invited and encouraged to attend.