Villanova clinches their offical “blue blood” status

The Villanova Wildcats (36-4) continued to dominate as they obliterated the nation’s hottest team the Michigan Wolverines (33-8) in the national championship 79-62. Sophomore Donte DiVencenzo became the nations newest star, as he came off the bench and dropped 31 points on the night. Villanova joins Michigan State (2000), Duke (2001), and North Carolina (2009) to have won all of their tournament games by double digits.

“I thought we played our best game in the championship game,” said Villanova head coach Jay Wright. So, does Villanova belong in one of the best of all time? Well, they did set a Final Four record after knocking down 18 three-pointers Saturday in a 95-79 blowout win over Kansas. They also can play stout defense, as Texas Tech found out in the Elite Eight.

DiVincenzo had a stellar night, as he went 10 for 15 shooting on the night, while shooting five for seven from three-point range, while also grabbing five rebounds, and contributing three assists. He also added four steals and an amazing two-handed block to cap off his night.

Michigan kept it close at the beginning of the game, tying the game at 23 apiece. However, Villanova knocked down two free throws by freshman Omari Spellman, then a three and a layup by DiVincenzo to put Nova up four. However, the Wildcats pulled away and never looked back after back-to-back dunks by Spellman and DiVenceno.

The last team to win its two Final Four games by 16 or more points was UCLA in 1968, during the dynasty years.