Grand Valley throttles Tech in NCAA’s

The Huskies women’s basketball team (23-6) traveled down to Ashland, Ohio for the NCAA tournament to face a familiar foe in the Grand Valley State Lakers (26-7). Grand Valley used heavy offense in the second and fourth quarters to win 75-54 and to drown the Huskies’ hopes of a rematch with the number one team in the nation, the Ashland Eagles.

On Friday, March 9, GVSU started out the game knocking down a few baskets for the early 6-0 lead. A jumper by senior Hannah Stoll put the Huskies on the board, making it 6-2. A three by senior Brenna Heise made it a one-possession game, 8-5 GVSU. A three by Stoll and a layup by Heise gave the Huskies their first lead of the game at 10-8 with 4:44 left in the first quarter. Both teams traded threes to end the first quarter in favor of Tech 17-15.

A layup and a free throw by the Lakers put GVSU back on top 20-19, but a quick three by junior Michelle LaFave gave the lead right back to the Huskies 22-20 with seven and a half left in the second quarter. A 12-2 run by the Lakers over the next five minutes put GVSU up 34-24. Both teams traded basket for basket to go into halftime with the Lakers up 40-30.

GVSU continued their run into the third quarter as they converted two quick baskets to make it 44-30 GVSU. Stoll knocked down a jumper to give the Huskies their first points of the half. A 7-0 run by GVSU increased their lead to 19, 51-32 with five and a half minutes left in the quarter. Senior Elisa Jurmu put a fire in the Huskies by knocking down a three to end the GVSU run, as the Huskies went on their own 6-0 run. However, the run was short lived as neither team could score a basket for the next several minutes. Heise nailed a three and Jurmu converted a layup to end the third quarter with the Huskies down 55-43.

The Lakers started quarter four with a quick 5-0 run. A three by the Lakers made it a 19-point game once again, making it 65-46 GVSU with 5:20 left in the game forcing the Huskies to call a timeout. Both teams traded buckets, but the Lakers nailed the Huskies’ coffin shut as they converted a layup and a free throw to increase their lead to 73-51 with 1:27 left in the game. A three by sophomore Hannah Hobson ended the season for the Huskies, as they fell to the Grand Valley State Lakers 75-54.

Heise was the only Husky in double digits as she finished with 14. LaFave, Stoll, and senior Kelli Guy each pitched in eight, while Hobson contributed six, and Jurmu five. Freshman Cassidy Trotter finished with three, while sophomore Baille McGirk finished with two. Hobson and Heise each had six rebounds to lead Tech, while Trotter and Guy each led Tech with four assists. Heise led Tech with three steals, while junior Isabella O’Brien finished with three blocks on the night.

The Huskies say goodbye to seniors Kelli Guy, Brenna Heise, Elisa Jurmu, Sarah LewAllen, Hannah Stoll, and Lindsay Winter, and thank them for their phenomenal careers here at Michigan Tech, and wish the best of luck in their futures. The Huskies will welcome in another amazing freshman class, so far consisting of Clara Johnson (Negaunee, Michigan), Jordan Ludescher (Glen Flora, Wisconsin), Ellie Mackay (Novi, Michigan), and Alex Rondorf (West Bend, Wisconsin).