Classroom etiquette – cultural difference?

Having completed most of my studies in India, I was shocked in my first few classroom experiences at Tech. At first, I was resistant to a few activities ‘allowed’ here but over time I’ve realized they do have their advantages and absolutely make sense. This article focuses on major differences I found in the classroom culture in India and at Tech, which I presume is followed all over the United States.

In India, the professor is considered as a ‘guru’ and with that, the learners have to follow certain rules which show respect for the professor. In a typical classroom, a student can’t leave the class without consulting the faculty. The idea is that if a student leaves the class, he may be disrespecting the professor or his content. This action might also disturb other students and the overall flow of the ongoing lecture. Another activity which generally is not allowed is eating in class. We definitely had dedicated lunch and snack breaks, but I won’t deny feeling hungry in class. Also, addressing the professor by name is something that blew my mind initially. I’ve never seen anybody address the professor directly by his name back in India. There has to be a ‘Sir’ or a ‘Professor’ while addressing them.

At Tech though, all of the above can be witnessed in most classrooms. I completely support leaving the class in the middle of a lecture as it is the student who is missing out and he understands that. There must be something really important which he needs to work on and that’s the reason he needs to leave. Eating in class is also something which I support unless the student is disturbing the class. It makes life easier. A hungry student will find it difficult to pay attention. No crunchy and aromatic foods and we should be fine. The third point though is something which I’m still trying to come to terms with. I find it very difficult to address a professor by his name. I’ve tried doing it a few times, but always end up adding ‘Professor’ or ‘Sir’ or ‘Dr’. I feel respect comes from within and that either manner is acceptable. It’s just the inertia that’s stopping me right now.

All in all, both cultures have their own pros and cons, but I feel both are very useful. Up until high school, I would still prefer the Indian culture as it sows the seed to respect faculty and sometimes the student is not mature enough to decide for himself. For college though, the Tech culture is apt as the student can decide for himself and act maturely.