USG changes inside and out

The Undergraduate Student Government at Michigan Tech has had a successful year. Under the leadership of Mitchell Sanford, new events and initiatives are constantly in full swing.

Despite a large turnover in its members since last year USG has managed to stay strong in their endeavors. Their most recent programme that attracted attention was the “Snowman left behind” event in which Tech students built over 2,036 snowmen in an attempt to break the world record for the largest number of snowmen built in one hour.

“A new town hall forum will be organized to learn about the needs of the students,” says Jimmie Cannon, the School of Business representative. Jimmie is also a liaison for the Center for Diversity and Inclusion. He won the Percy Julian award for outstanding service with regard to diversity and inclusion at Michigan Tech.

“USG is always operating with the needs of the students in mind, and we hope to listen to what the students have to say,” said Cannon, “Currently, we are trying to increase the open hours in the library, so students can make use of all floors longer.” Students interested in learning more about the town hall forum and participating in it can contact mcdelong@mtu.edu.

Rumors were brought up about a debate night at Michigan Tech. The intention was to listen to the needs of the students by organizing open debates about arbitrary topics. Flyers might be put up in the coming weeks about the debate.

“A lot of things have been going on in USG,” says Ethan To, the fourth year representative from Kalamazoo, MI. “We are preparing for meeting over 200 organizations on campus for budget hearings, so we can individually address their needs.” Also, USG is on the lookout for new at-large representatives.