Essential oils for health and wellbeing

The new semester is here and bringing with it its own conglomeration of stresses and illnesses ranging from last minute projects to migraines and your everyday headaches. It can be difficult to get back into the flow of things post-holiday, especially falling back into a regular (and healthy) sleeping schedule. Not to mention the fact that as winter digs its claws securely into our little hometown of Houghton, we are subject to a variety of colds, fevers, and stuffy noses that seem to have no end.

If this sounds familiar and you are looking for a different way to combat the bodily and mental stresses of everyday life here at college (and in the Great White North in general), the Employee Wellness and WorkLife Connections is hosting a workshop lunch free to MTU faculty, students, and staff. The seminar will teach you how to use essential oils to benefit your health, presented by Dr. Kemmy Taylor and Emily Betterly who are visiting from Superior Essentials. They will provide a comprehensive lesson on how to use essential oils to cure and help heal your body as well as which to use for relaxation. Trisha Kuzmic attended a previous lesson given by Superior Essentials and said, “Each woman was passionate and extremely excited to share the knowledge they had. It was uplifting and so much fun!” If you have been curious about essential oils, or if you are just hearing about them now, this will be a fantastic chance to learn more and get clear instructions on the best way to utilize this incredibly versatile form of healing.

If you can’t make it, there are a couple essential oils that are particularly important to take note of. For trouble sleeping, try putting a couple drops of pure lavender essential oil on your pillow. If you have a stuffy nose, a little eucalyptus oil on your sternum can go a long way. Sore and aching joints could do with a long, soaking bath in Epsom salts with lavender, eucalyptus, and grapefruit oil. Stress headaches can be soothed with a drop or two of peppermint oil massaged into the temples. These are only a few that can solve rather common problems, but they are very effective. Certainly, more will be discussed at the Lunch and Learn.

The seminar will take place in the MUB Alumni A Lounge on Wednesday, Jan. 24 from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. Refreshments will be provided. In addition, all those who attend will be eligible to win a prize from a random drawing courtesy of Superior Essentials.

Stock up on health essentials, eat your food and enjoy the company of others who just want to start feeling a little better. To learn more about Superior Essentials, you can find them on Facebook and chat with them. In addition to great reviews and responding to messages quickly, their Facebook page also includes information on how to order your own essential oils and how to use them, including blends for specific relaxation or atmospheres as well as tips and tricks on how to get the most out of your oils. Feel free to drop by and see what they are all about!