Humanities program launches new undergrad research journal

The Composition program at the department of humanities at Michigan Tech starts a new undergraduate academic journal. The journal is called the Portage Review, Michigan Technological University’s Undergraduate Research Journal.
Founded in Fall 2017, the Portage Review is a biannual publication. It aims to highlight academic and multi-modal compositions of Michigan Technological University’s undergraduate students across campus and the community. The journal is run by a staff of Rhetoric, Theory & Culture graduate students in the Humanities Department and undergraduate students at MTU. The journal is currently calling for articles and multi-modal works for publication in its first issue in Spring 2018.

Speaking to the Lode, Silke Feltz, a PhD candidate in the Humanities Department, current president of the journal and graduate coordinator of the composition program said, “I am very excited to be part of this project because I believe it will offer undergraduate students at Michigan Tech the opportunity to experience the publishing process first-hand. The Portage Review will inspire students to see the value in their writing and that they can share their message with a real audience that goes beyond the classroom”. She also said, in the contemporary and competitive world, the journal offers undergraduate students “a concrete, multidisciplinary audience which helps them find their voice” and gives them a leverage as they prepare to start their various careers.

When asked about the challenges that the Portage Review has faced so far and what she expects in the near future for the journal, Feltz said, “I see great potential for the Portage Review in the future because we have a strong team of committed grad students. The editorial board has enjoyed working on launching the first issue which will come out next semester and many grad students from the Humanities have expressed interest in being a part of it.” She expressed gratitude to Professor Matt Seigel, the journal’s advisor “who has been invaluable because of his own publishing experience.” She also said the journal has received a lot of support from the Director of the composition program, Dr. Marika Seigel “for making all of this possible and for supporting us in every way.”

Currently, the journal’s editorial board consists of Silke Feltz, Kimberly Tweedale, a PhD candidate in RTC; Megan Pietruszewski, a peace-corp master’s student in RTC; Laura Vidal, a master’s student in RTC, Lindsey Wells, an undergraduate chemistry student, Edzordzi Agbozo, a PhD student in RTC and six other graduate students from the department of humanities. The journal’s website is: https://theportagereview.wixsite.com/mysite and all submissions for the Spring 2018 issue are to be submitted by Dec. 15, 2017 to portagereview@gmail.com.