Saunas: a Finnish tradition loved by all

The sauna is quite a common sight in the Upper Peninsula, there are even multiple saunas on campus. Saunas such as those seen on campus, derive from Finland. Originally these very early saunas were constructed in huts on the sides of hills and mountains, and they typically used smoke from wood fires to heat up rooms to comfortable temperatures. These would often take hours to get to proper temperatures, which differs greatly from the modern “dry” sauna. Technological advances during the industrial revolution resulted in quick to heat stoves and the common wood panel walls to hold in the moisture. The modern method uses igneous rocks on top of a heater to diffuse the heat with a helping of water. A commonality between both methods is that users will run out into the cold outside air, often jumping into snow or a hole in an iced-over lake. This part is especially common in the homeland of the sauna, Finland.

In Finland, saunas are extremely popular, so much so, that there are an estimated two million for a country containing five and a half million people. Thus, it is no surprise that in a state filled with the highest amount of Finnish Americans in the country, that the sauna would be so prevalent. Sauna culture in the Upper Peninsula grew alongside with the Finnish population in the area during the late 19th and early 20th century. All of these Finnish immigrants were drawn to the Upper Peninsula for it’s similar geography to their homeland and the economic opportunities available; as Finland at the time was going through unprecedented population growth without similar economic growth seen in other European countries. This led to a heavily Finnish culture, which brought along the sauna with them. Thus when universities like Finlandia and Michigan Tech popped up, they adopted the local cultures of the area around them.

Tech is home to many students from all over the globe. There are many students who have never experienced a sauna before coming to the U.P. The strong roots of Finnish culture here provide new experiences for many people. Visiting a sauna is one way to familiarize yourself with a different culture that has a big impact on the U.P. This winter, explore something new and try using a sauna, it will surely keep you warm.