League of Legends tournament

On Friday and Saturday, Nov 3 and 4, Wadsworth Hall played host to a massive gaming tournament. The League of Legends tournament was composed of 50 players divided into ten teams, all of them vying for dominance. On Friday, the ten teams went through the first round of brackets (called the group stages), where they were divided into two pools of five. To fit all of the players in the tournament, the LoL tournament had to commandeer the Wadsworth dining hall, where everyone played on their own computers. The top 2 seeds in each pool moved on to the second round, eliminations. After bringing the number of groups from ten to four, the tournament was moved to the Wadsworth basement, in the annex next to the Cafe. There the four teams played against each other, bracket style, to see who would come out on top. The four remaining teams in the final bracket were Thinking Emoji, Red team, Blue team and Burnt Popcorn. In the end, the Blue team emerged victorious. This was the first tournament of the school year, with the second being sometime in the spring semester, both of which being put on by Michigan Tech’s own LoL Club.

The club has biweekly meetings on Wednesdays at 8:00 p.m. in Fisher 138. As of late, they’ve been focused on putting on the tournament, but they also like to discuss LoL patch notes and changes as well as other tournaments going on around the world. The current president of the club and main organizer of the tournament, Dylan Gaines, joined because of his involvement in the same tournament a year ago. Those interested in joining the club should contact Dylan, whose email is located on the involvement link for the club.