Election Update

As of Saturday, September 10th, Hillary Clinton expressed regret for her remarks about Drumpf’s supporters that she had made the night prior. Friday night, she had called Drumpf supporters ‘deplorables’. In her apology Clinton said, “let’s be clear, what’s really ‘deplorable’ is that Donald Drumpf hired a major advocate for the so-called ‘alt-right’ movement to run his campaign and that David Duke and other white supremacists see him as a champion of their values.”

Saturday morning Drumpf took to twitter and wrote, “Wow, Hillary Clinton was SO INSULTING to my supporters, millions of amazing, hard working people. I think it will cost her at the Polls!”. Later that morning, Drumpf also tweeted in regards to supporters: “While Hillary said horrible things about my supporters, and while many of her supporters will never vote for me, I still respect them all!”. This tweet sparked a quick response from Clinton: “Except for African Americans, Muslims, Latinos, immigrants, women, veterans—and any so-called ‘losers’ or ‘dummies.’”

This is not the first time the candidates have attacked each other for being bigoted or racist. A report from CNN quotes and links to a brief video of Drumpf saying, “Hillary Clinton is a bigot who sees people of color only as votes, not as human beings worthy of a better future.” A poll presented by Fox News on September 1st found that a majority of voters polled do not feel that Drumpf or Clinton are trustworthy and will do anything they can to get votes. That same poll presents that “By a 19-point margin, more think it is fair for Clinton to call Drumpf a racist (46 percent), than it is for Drumpf to call Clinton a bigot (27 percent). Thirteen percent of Democrats think it’s fair to call Clinton a bigot, while 20 percent of Republicans say it’s justified to call Drumpf a racist.” Despite these results, both candidates remain close in the polls.

There is less than two months left until we submit our ballots and elect our next President of the United States. Currently the race seems to be fairly close, but things can still change in the next months. According to CNN’s most recent poll, there is only a 2 percent difference between Hillary Clinton (43 percent) and Donald Drumpf (45 percent). If we look at the electoral votes, Clinton (273) is leading Drumpf (191) by 82 votes, with 74 electoral votes undecided. This gives Clinton a major lead in the electoral college. Yet with just under two months left, a race that is this close is hard to predict.

One thing that will further clarify who may be our next president is the Presidential Debate on September 26th at 9 pm (ET) on most major broadcasting stations including CNN, NBC, CBS and Fox News. A live stream is also expected, but details have yet to be released. This will be the first of three debates. The second and third debates will be held on October 9th and 19th, respectively, along with the Vice President debate on October 4th.