Make a difference

On October 28, Michigan Tech will unite with thousands of volunteers from across the country for Make a Difference Day, the largest nationwide annual day of service. Originally introduced by USA Weekend Magazine, Make a Difference Day was created as a celebration for improving the lives of others.
Michigan Tech has been involved in the Make a Difference Day tradition since 2004, according to Jonathan Davey, the Coordinator of Student Activities and Summer Housing Programs at Michigan Tech. Tech’s interpretation of Make a Difference Day has evolved since the university first began participating in 2004. “In the past,” Davey says, “there used to be a lot of raking projects. When I got hired last year we continued to have raking projects because that is a need of the community, but we added some more in-depth…volunteer opportunities so that people could get more out of this day than just raking leaves.”

Davey also believes that it is important for students to engage in conversations about why their volunteering experiences are important, and to learn about who they are serving. “It is actually going to make the people volunteering feel like they have made an impact… Yes, they did service, but there needs to be a little bit more meaning behind it.” Now, site leaders serve alongside other volunteers, encouraging reflection and discussion, and promoting a more meaningful experience.

Davey drew heavily on the feedback of student volunteers in formulating a fresh approach to the service opportunity. He states, “[students] said that it was fine, but that it did feel like they were just going, raking the yard, and then coming back — they weren’t making a connection with the community.” He makes his goals in engaging students in Make a Difference Day very clear, saying, “I want them to have an interaction, to talk with each other.” Davey hopes that students will be inspired to “continue service throughout their college careers.” Students are encouraged to reach back out to community members and service organizations, and to remain engaged in community service – more than just once a year.

Although service projects with individual community members form a large part of those that volunteers will be engaged in this year, Davey informs that the City of Houghton and the City of Hancock will also be participating. “Community leaders at the cities have worked with us to do different community service projects: cleaning up, doing some large-scale removal of planters, helping with playground equipment,” he shares. The Bluffs Senior Community, Copper County Habitat for Humanity, the Carnegie Museum, Aspirus Keweenaw, Dial Help, Keweenaw Land Trust, Barkell Elementary in Hancock, the Keweenaw Chamber of Commerce and Little Brothers Friends of the Elderly, in addition to quite a few other local organizations, have also provided service opportunities for participants this year.

Though the deadline for registration was 11 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 23rd, individuals who are interested in volunteering still have an opportunity to do so. “If someone is willing to provide service and help out, even though they didn’t get to register on time, please email me, and I will find you a service site.” Davey can be reached at jrdavey@mtu.edu.