Huskies fall to Ashland 48-0

The Michigan Tech Huskies traveled to the sixteenth ranked Ashland University last weekend and fell 48-0. The Ashland Eagle defense has allowed less than 12 points per game to their opponents. A 14 point deficit in the first quarter proved to be too much for the Huskies to overcome later in the game.

“Ashland definitely outplayed us today, they executed well, converted on third downs, did all of the little things they need to do to keep drives moving, and played really well on defense,” said head coach Steve Olson. “We can and still need to be better. There were some plays and opportunities out there that we needed to make and convert on, but we were unable to do so.”

“We need to regroup this week and get ready for a big game against Wayne State for Homecoming. Our kids will work hard this week and be ready to go on Saturday.” Head Coach Steve Olson stated.

The Huskies took possession to begin the game but were forced to punt. To jump-start, the game, junior quarterback Jake Brown hit sophomore wide receiver Ben Hartley on a six-yard pass. On third and three senior running back picked up five yards and a first down. The Huskies were stopped at the 40-yard line and forced to make a 36-yard punt. The Eagles took over at their own 28-yard line.
The Eagles quickly took the lead, gaining 72 yards in seven plays. 36 of those yards were thanks to a touchdown by the Eagles wide receiver with 8:54 to go in the first quarter.

Ashland’s defense went on to force five total Michigan Tech turnovers. Ashland linebacker Tyler Tokos intercepted a pass at the Huskies 30-yard line. Ashland’s quarterback made a pass to the tight end for a 15-yard touchdown, bringing the Huskies down by 14.

Ashland grabbed another interception but the Huskies defense held the Eagles back from another scoring drive in the first quarter. The Huskies have come from behind in each of the last three games they have played, but this wasn’t the case Saturday. Ashland’s quarterback Travis Tarnowski went on to throw three more touchdown passes, bringing the score to 35-0 going into the half. 13 more points in the second half would seal the fate of the game for the Huskies, bringing the score to 48-0.

Senior running back James Henderson led the Huskies with 39 yards rushing and 126 yards on five kick returns. Senior Eric Kostreva boasted 31 yards on five carries. Brown completed seven passes for 47 yards for the day.
Sophomore linebacker Marvin Wright led in tackles with 13 followed by junior defensive back Graham Hubbell with nine stops and a fumble recovery.
“We need to regroup this week and get ready for a big game against Wayne State for Homecoming,” said Olson. “Our kids will work hard this week and be ready to go on Saturday.”

The Huskies return to Sherman Field to host the Wayne State University Warriors for the annual Homecoming game. Kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m. and the Homecoming King and Queen will be announced at halftime.