New year, new celebrations

Every fall season marks the commencement of a new academic year for international students while inviting them into the Daniel Heights housing community. This fall, the students of Michigan Tech celebrated one of the most anticipated international festivals. Ganesh Chathurthi, also known as Vinayaka Chaturthi, is one of the most gripping festivals celebrated widely, with immeasurable pomp and grandeur in the Indian subcontinent. This festival marks the birth anniversary of Ganpati, one of the paramount worshipped pagan deities in the Hindu pantheon. This deity is recognized by its huge elephant head and greatly revered as the remover of obstacles and the god of wisdom. As the god of beginnings, this deity is venerated very frequently to ensure the auspicious beginning of any new tasks.

The festival, which began on August 25, is ten days long and typically starts late August or early September depending on the lunar calendar. The residents of apartment 1913B were the hosts this year. When asked about how they managed their academics with the ongoing festival and a huge crowd pouring in, “Ganapati literally means the Lord of hosts. Back at my place, we have been hosting this festival annually for last 12 years. Plus, everyone gives a hand and we get to meet so many new people! It’s always been a huge pleasure!” spoke the ever cheerful Ph.D. student Prasad Soman.

The idol was brought by a couple of members of the Indian Students Association from Chicago while the decorations around the idol revealed the affinity for this festival. This murti, when installed on the first day after the puja, was decorated with garlands of fresh flowers along with the recitation of holy hymns and chants. Right from the first day, a large number of residents of Daniel Heights gathered every day for the rituals and the Aarti. The celebrations were equally organized as they were vibrant and devoutly observed. The attendees took turns in preparation and distribution of the modaks: a favored delicacy of the deity which are sweet dumplings made from rice flour stuffed with grated coconut, jaggery and dried fruits and then steamed or fried. The recitations and rituals were observed at 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. at the same place with amazing obedience. When asked if all these preparations would make him feel homesick, freshman Dhaval Nagare said “Attending this festival is a big thing for me. I feel very much at home while I arrange red flowers and durva grass near the idol.”

At the end of the tenth day, the idol is then ceremoniously brought to a body of water and immersed before the sunset. In spite of one being currently unavailable at the housing campus, the devotees immersed the idol in a bucket of water and then later gathered for the dinner party. “This was just a terrific experience! We have had a lot of newbies this year at the Tech and it’s fun when all of them get involved and contribute, makes us all a close-knit family!” says Ninad Mohale, one of the hosts this year. “We try to change the hosting apartment every year so that all the interested guys get a chance”, he said when asked if he would be interested in hosting the event again.

The Indian Students Association arranges many more cultural events like Diwali Night and Holi, The Festival of Colors in the early spring which brings much delight to the students. If anyone has missed the festival and would like to join any future festivals, look up online for Indian Students Association or just hit an email at aksamel@mtu.edu.