A safe space

Have you ever found yourself wondering what it takes to be an ally for the LGBTQIA+ community? Are you interested in learning more about creating an inclusive campus environment? If so, a new opportunity awaits you.
The Safe Place Ally Training Program provided through Huskies Safe Place at Michigan Tech is returning to campus next month and is currently open for registration. The Safe Place Program was developed by students in 1996 but has been revamped since 2011 by Renee Bell, the first professional hired by the Center for Diversity and Inclusion, forming a new basis for the training that is about to be offered again. Sessions will be available to students, staff, and faculty, with some sessions reserved for students only. The training takes place in two sessions with multiple opportunities to attend each.

Amy Lynn Howard, Campus Diversity Educator beginning this summer, shared more information about the function of the program as well as her role at the Center for Diversity and Inclusion, who created her position this summer. She writes, “This position is a dream job. The Center for Diversity and Inclusion really considered the needs of campus with this position and what the CDI aimed to accomplish by creating this role – which is brand new this year and is geared toward supporting the campus and community needs of diversity and inclusion programming, presentations and training aimed at creating an inclusive, supportive and culturally competent campus. Some of the things that this position entails is supporting LGBTQIA+ and Women’s identities (supporting the different campus student organizations and programming that involve these specific populations – like Keweenaw Pride, Women’s Leadership Council, Leaning In, etc.); overseeing initiatives and trainings like the Michigan Tech Young Women’s Leaders Program and Safe Place Ally Training Program; and support and challenge individual students, organizations, professionals, and departments around issues of diversity awareness, identity, intersectionality, and collaboration.” Since beginning at Tech during July of this year, Howard has already offered three Safe Place training to different departments at the university.

To register for the Safe Places Training, go to http://www.mtu.edu/safeplace/ or
http://www.mtu.edu/safeplace/about/register/The first session, which is for students only, will be taking place this Sunday, Oct. 1, from 3 to 5 p.m. All dates and times are posted on the website, and individuals can register there as well.
When asked what she would like for people to know about the training, Howard replied, “I would strongly urge and encourage anyone to go through the Safe Place Ally Training Program, even if they aren’t sure if they can or want to take on the role of an ally. Knowledge is so important. Caring for our peers and community is so important.” Hope to see you there!