Breakers-to-Bridge paddle festival a success

The second annual Breakers-to-Bridge paddle festival took place two weekends ago and was a great success, according to participants and volunteers at the event.

“Everyone was in good spirits, having fun,” said OAP student employee Jacob Burch. “It was a great day for it. Windy, but better than last year. Plus we got the Fitz to cater, so that was wonderful.”

Paddlers got in the water on Saturday morning at Breakers Beach and paddled 10 miles down the Portage to the Houghton Waterfront Park and Pavilion. Paddlers could bring their own canoes or rent them from the Outdoor Adventure Program and could ride solo or tandem.

“I heard about the festival last year, but didn’t have anyone to go with, so I was like, ‘Nope! That’s not happening,’ but this year a former roommate of mine agreed to do it,” said paddler and CDI student engagement coordinator Bre Tucker. “I had fun. I think 10 minutes in I was ready to be done, but I’m definitely happy that I continued and it was something I’ve never done before. So it was worth it.”

OAP was one of the partners sponsoring the event with the goal of promoting watersports in the Keweenaw. Several participants seemed to think it worked.
Matt Wray and Grace Carey were a pair of students who paddled their “Crap-shoot Canoe” tandem for the 10-mile route in the non-competitive division.
“We just got recently got our own canoe,” Carey said.

“This is its maiden voyage,” Wray cut in. “It has some work to be done on it-”
“We had to patch a hole,” Carey finished. “Paddling is definitely something we want to pursue, probably more once we don’t have school to worry about.”
Students who missed the event can still get involved in the fun. OAP offers canoe and kayak overnight rental for students for $20 as well as a variety of other equipment to support a more extended excursion.

While the paddling was great fun, other participants were there to support the event’s cause. Proceeds from registration fees and from the silent auction were used to support the Keweenaw Land Trust, a local non-profit devoted to “protecting land, water, and quality of life through conservation, stewardship and education,” as they say on their website.

Besides their outreach, the KLT also owns and maintains nine public nature preserves in the western UP and holds conservation easements over 2,000 acres of private lands, some of which are available for public visiting.

A conservation easement is a legal agreement between a landowner and an organization like the KLT in which the use of a piece of land is restricted in order to protect its natural value. This may prohibit construction of buildings, mining or logging. A land easement is transferable if the property is sold, so the land trust then has the authority to enforce the agreement even if the ownership changes. Land easements are usually donated and are sometimes tax deductible.
The 10-mile paddle route was chosen for its scenic exposure to mine ruins, waterfalls and Keweenaw countryside, to show off the very things the Land Trust seeks to preserve.

“It was nice to paddle along and look at houses,” said Wray. “You see a lot of things you don’t see just driving down the road.”

Students interested in participating in next year’s Paddle Festival should watch out for announcements from OAP and can visit the website at breakersbridge.com.