Cheer Team shows their spirit

The sun was out and Husky pride was in full force this year at K-day. If you noticed a group of students decked out in black and gold attire performing amazing feats of gymnastics or walking around spreading positive vibes, you just might have witnessed the one and only Michigan Tech Cheer Team.

The Michigan Tech Cheer Team is a group of student athletes who cheer on our Huskies at football and basketball games, participate in various campus and community events and participate in cheer competitions in the spring. They are a club sport at Michigan Tech and accept new team members of all experience levels. Tryouts are held for competition team as only 20 athletes are allowed on the competition mat.

Senior team member Tim Brandt commented on his experience joining the Michigan Tech Cheer team, “I joined because I’ve always wanted to do gymnastics and after meeting one of the guys in my PE class, he convinced me to go to a practice just to try it out. I went once but then got caught with other things. Right after Winter Carnival he texted me and asked if I was still interested. I kind of was so I went to another practice and started learning how to do group stunts. The team then said that they needed another guy for competition and that I had three weeks to learn everything. So I decided to dive right in and I fell in love with the sport.”

No commitment is needed to try out a practice or two with the team. If you want to try but aren’t sure, go to a couple practices to see how you like it.

When asked about how the Michigan Tech Cheer Team has impacted his college experience, Brandt responded, “I’ve been able to learn, grow and teach others as an athlete, and as a person. I’ve stayed with cheer to show that the stereotypes aren’t true and that cheer is actually a very difficult sport. Cheer has impacted my life so much, especially in teaching me crucial time management. It’s kept me pretty fit through the years and helps me lead a healthier lifestyle.”

All in all, Brandt chalks up joining the Michigan Tech Cheer Team to being a very positive choice saying, “It’s definitely one of the best decisions I’ve made in my college career.”

If you are interested in joining or trying out for the Michigan Tech Cheer Team please email cheer@mtu.edu for more information and be sure to share in their Husky pride at Michigan Tech sporting events this fall.