An international student’s perspective

It all started when I boarded an international flight for the first time in my life. Little did I know that so much would change in so little time. The university with its various organizations had so much lined up for us. So, let’s have a look at the action and the fun-filled first week we had.

We got to interact with International Programs and Services even before we reached Houghton. They were there in Chicago, having arranged every little thing a person who’s had a long and tiring flight could ask for. We enjoyed the delicacies and headed to Houghton in a bus arranged by IPS. We reached Houghton early in the morning, before our scheduled time. We reported to IPS and got keys to our apartments along with an opportunity to make an international call.

Just when we were about to take a well-deserved break and doze off, we realized there’s so much to do, even on the first day. We opened our bank accounts and got our SIM cards on the same day. Fast, isn’t it? A trip to Walmart was on everybody’s to-do list. Not knowing the shuttle timings, we got loads of stuff and got to experience how far Daniell Heights is from the MUB. Still day one, mind you. The day ended with bonfire at Prince’s Point which gave us an opportunity to interact with locals.

Enjoying the picturesque sights in the university, it was now time for the Houghton/Hancock city tours. The Portage Lake Lift Bridge, Hancock Beach, Walmart and Dollar Tree were a few of the places included in the tour. The icing on the cake was getting to know the history of Houghton and Hancock. The picnic at Hancock beach arranged by GSG was amazing. Lovely sights, a photographer’s heaven, games and to top it all off, free food. It had everything. Making new friends, bonding with locals, time was never spent so well.

Less than a week into this beautiful town, the walk from Daniell Heights to academic buildings now seems startling. A well-furnished and clean apartment along with the necessary utilities is what we international students look for. Well, Daniell Heights provides all of that and more. It is highly recommended.

One cannot describe this beautiful university without taking into account its weather. The weather, to me at least, is harsh. It’s chilly and you have to have your sweatshirts or sweaters along with you, all the time. You might see a few wearing shorts and some not even wearing shirts, but hey, this is still a new place for us, so give us some time to acclimate.
All in all, it has been a wonderful week one. I feel the flight was longer than the week spent here. I couldn’t have asked for more. The university, the people around and my new friends all make me feel at home. I’m looking forward to the upcoming semester with so many fun events lined up. I’m a proud Husky now!