Testing Center moves to Rekhi

Michigan Technological University’s Testing Center has moved from its old location on the second floor of the library to a newly renovated location in Rekhi 215 in order to meet growing demand from the student body. Students and faculty were invited to the new location on Monday, Sept. 11, to see the new facilities and ask questions of Testing Center faculty and staff.

The new Testing Center location has 30 seats, making it three times the size of the original testing center. In addition to more seating, the cubicle-style seats have higher walls lined with sound absorbing cloth which serves the dual purpose of limiting distractions, and reducing the likelihood of cheating. Ten seats will still be available at the old testing center in Library room 226, should the need for the testing center exceed the capacity of the new location.

The new Testing Center includes an expanded check-in center, where students utilizing the facility will be instructed on their personal amenities, including how much time they are given and what technologies they are allowed for the exam that they are taking.

“One student may be taking one exam and be allowed a calculator, while another student that arrives at the same time to take an exam for a different class won’t be allowed a calculator,” explained Testing center Center Coordinator Margaret Landsparger, who was at the open house to answer questions with other staff. The check-in area is also equipped with lockers where students can store items that they are not allowed to take into the testing center, including, among other things, watches.

“There are too many smart-watches with access to the internet,” said Landsparger. Landsparger also commented on the cameras located above each cubicle, saying “They’re really good at picking up the glow [from the phone screens].”

Testing Center staff hope that the larger and improved accommodations will encourage students who have the option to use the testing center rather than taking their exams at the regular time who may not have chosen to use the older facilities to take advantage of the option.
The Testing Center is used primarily for students who receive special accommodations because of disabilities or because of certain university policies such as those limiting the number of exams that a student is required to take in a single day. Last semester 2800 students took exams in the original 10-seat testing center, with the busiest day seeing 202 students, according to Landsparger.

Originally opened in 2013 by the Center for Teaching and Learning, the new Testing Center was funded through an alumni gift from William G. Jackson in 2015.