Trumpcare fails to pass Congress

President Trump promised during his campaign that he would repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act (regularly referred to as Obamacare) within the first one hundred days of his presidency. While he did attempt to do so, his efforts to win over Republicans to support the American Health Care Act were unsuccessful, and congress rejected Trump’s proposal.

Former president Obama first enacted Obamacare seven years ago with the goal of providing affordable health to every American citizen. At over 1,000 pages, it specifically outlines how healthcare should be administered in the United States. Under Obamacare large employers have to insure their employees and every individual needs to be covered otherwise they will pay a penalty. Insurance companies cannot deny any individual coverage based on preexisting conditions and those under 26 can stay on their parent’s plan. “Trumpcare” calls for the repealing of Obamacare taxes and individual and employer health care mandates. Those with preexisting conditions still cannot be discriminated against but insurance will now be allowed to be sold across state lines. Individuals will be able to choose their doctor and expansions on Medicaid will be frozen.

According to a recent CBO report, an estimated 52 million people would be uninsured under the Republican health care plan by 2026, compared with 28 million who would lack insurance that year under Obamacare.

One aspect of the plan that has politicians on both sides of the isle pleased is that it promises to reduce the national deficit by $337 billion over the next decade.

Trumpcare is not in direct line with what president Trump wants for American healthcare, rather it is a cumulative effort of Republicans working together with Trump to develop a new healthcare plan.

Speaker of the House Paul Ryan has been a prominent voice in the Trumpcare development. However, CNN reports tensions may be high between Trump and Ryan because Ryan had seven years in office to develop a plan to replace Obamacare.

Fox News host Judge Jeanine Pirro went so far as to say that Ryan should step down after being unable to rally his own party. The rejection proves to be an embarrassing blow to both Trump and Ryan.

For now, the new healthcare plan is officially rejected, but it is likely that Trump may try to revisit his plans for revising and repealing the Affordable Care act.