Campus Introductions; Sound Design

Unleash your creativity with a Bachelor of Arts in Sound Design at Michigan Technological University, where students immerse themselves in the world of audio across various industries. Sound designers create the auditory experience in movies, TV, video games, theater, and even theme parks.

At Michigan Tech, Sound Design students gain hands-on experience from day one, exploring audio production, music composition, and sound effects design. Access to five creative sound spaces teach students the technical skills needed to succeed in the audio industry. Faculty members, who are industry professionals, offer personalized mentorship and help, assisting students in building a strong portfolio and professional skills.

Sound designers are often expected to have strong skills in recording, mixing, mastering, and using industry-standard software such as Pro Tools and Logic Pro. Graduates of Sound Design may work in film and game audio, live sound engineering, or post-production. Salaries in the field can vary, with sound designers typically earning an average of $75,000 annually, depending on their role, location, and experience.

Sound Design alumni have gone on to work as sound effect (i.e. Foley) artists, producers, sound editors, and more at companies like Eighth Day Sound, Feld Entertainment, and Smart Monkeys, LLC. As demand for high-quality audio in virtual reality, video games, and advertising grows, this degree opens the door to a fulfilling career in sound design.