Haunted Hoist House returns to the Quincy Mine

The Michigan Tech Visual and Performing Arts (VPA) Department presents its annual Haunted House in collaboration with the Quincy Mine Hoist Association. Each fall, the two partner to bring a one-of-a-kind, spooky experience to our campus and community. The annual event’s location has deviated in recent years, alternating from the Quincy Mine, the Smelter, and the Hoist House. This year’s haunted tour will take you through the Hoist House, the home of the world’s largest steam hoist. 

The theme for the Haunted House (or Hoist) is “Fears and Phobias”. Jos Olson, one of the three production managers, said, “We have taken the Quincy Hoist House and split it into nine different sections, each covering a very common fear or phobia.” Kennedy Bosarge, creative and sound lead, explained that creative work on the production began back in August before classes started. By the end of the production, total hours of work are estimated from 50 to 100 from student to student. 

This is no ordinary haunted house. Bosarge says, “I’m not sure how many colleges actually have an entire department of artistic, performance, and visual arts majors put together a haunted house for the public, especially in a place that has historic value to our community.” The production is largely produced by VPA students and allows them to apply the knowledge and skills they are studying. “I think it’s really cool that we can work with the Quincy Mine Hoist Association to put together something that gets everyone into the spirit of Halloween, it’s a little spooky, it’s probably a little cheesy but, it allows everyone to have a good time and it allows all the students in the VPA department to get real life experience,” Bosarge adds.

The production runs from Thursday, Oct. 24 to Saturday, Oct. 26 from 7 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. The tour is estimated to be 15 minutes long, and is aimed at an audience of all ages, though children under 13 must be accompanied by an adult. 

CONTENT WARNING: Attendees should expect a few steps, uneven ground, flashing lights, and jump scares. Close-toed shoes and warm clothes are recommended, and a hard hat is required and provided.