Published Weekly on Tuesdays
Office Located in Walker 105

What to do with job offers?

With the conclusion of Career Fair and many students receiving internship, co-op, and full-time offers, a few are left with the question, “what to do with my job offer?” As Natalie Anderson, MTU Advisor for Career Readiness and Professional Development, advised, “Ask yourself, what are the things that are most important to you?” This question can help you evaluate potential offers beyond just salary.

It is also important to consider the full benefits package beyond the base salary. Many companies offer health insurance, retirement plans, and paid time off, all of which can have significant long-term value. A lower salary might be offset by a benefits package, so evaluating these offerings is critical. For example, some companies offer tuition reimbursement, stock options, or flexible work arrangements, which could be more valuable in the long run depending on your personal and career goals.

Initial research into average salaries for the specific job title being offered can provide a solid foundation for negotiations. Salary data from resources like Glassdoor or the Bureau of Labor Statistics can help determine if the offer aligns with industry standards. Though factors such as work experience, location, and company size will also play a role.

When you receive an offer, don’t forget the importance of professionalism. Anderson reminded students to “thank them for their time, tell them it was great meeting their team, just don’t burn the bridge.” Regardless of whether you accept the offer, maintaining a positive relationship can be beneficial for your future career.