Published Weekly on Tuesdays
Office Located in Walker 105

East Hall reaches project milestone

Michigan Tech is expanding its residential campus with a new residence hall as enrollment grows to record levels. In the Fall of 2024, Tech saw an enrollment increase of 1.5 percent, pushing the student population to its largest since 1982. This growth has made additional residential housing a high-priority need, and East Hall will be the first building to help with this need.

Built on the east side of campus, next to the Rozsa Center, East Hall provides housing for 512 students across 152 rooms. It is expected to receive Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver Certification for its sustainable design and construction, with the possibility of LEED Gold. Amenities include building-wide air conditioning, covered bike storage, and in-unit bathrooms. Construction began in Oct. 2023, with the hall expected to be ready for students to move in by the Fall 2025 semester.

Recently, the project hit the 50 percent completion milestone. The contractor, Walbridge Construction, celebrated this accomplishment with a provided lunch for all workers on-site. When asked about the progress, the Project Manager from Walbridge said the project is going well and that Michigan Tech and the other stakeholders are working on finalizing some of the inside finishes. They added that crews are currently working on installing the plumbing, electrical, heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems on the second floor as well as finishing the exterior of the building. 

A unique part of the project is the involvement of a Michigan Tech Student. Will Linton, a mechanical engineering student and intern with Walbridge Construction, shared his thoughts, “Working on an MTU project is very cool, especially being an MTU student.”

East Hall will provide much-needed on-campus housing and access to Michigan Tech’s vibrant student life. More information about the progress of East Hall’s construction can be found on the Residental Living page mtu.edu/residential-living/options/undergraduate/east/.