Published Weekly on Tuesdays
Office Located in Walker 105

Club Spotlight; AISES at Michigan Tech

American Indian Society of Engineers and Scientists (AISES) is a national organization with a goal to enhance academic and professional development. One of their main goals in the MTU chapter, according to Anna Kindgren, is “culture revitalization with preservation and community.” Since the Native American student body is a slim population at MTU, their main focus is to prioritize building community through events like Powwow, drum circle for Indigenous Peoples Day, and various events celebrating Native American Heritage Month in November. They also nurture the building of communities by bridging science and technology with traditional Native values. 

AISES is an organization about inclusion and community building. According to Kindgren, they “accept members from all walks of life so allies may join too… but our main focus is creating a safe space for all Indigenous folks on campus, not just Indigenous to the Americas.” 

For Native American students and allies who want to become more involved with like-minded peers, AISES is a good fit. The organization helps members enhance academic and professional development by providing peer support, advising, and mentoring as they seek to become self-reliant and self-determined members of society. They also work to facilitate the exchange of information regarding employment opportunities. Additionally, AISES often strives to help students with scholarships and other special programs at MTU. 

For more information on the AISES student org, students can find the club on Involvement Link.