Published Weekly on Tuesdays
Office Located in Walker 105

Michigan Tech Hockey sweeps University of Alaska-Fairbanks in regular season opener

The Michigan Tech Hockey Team earned a non-conference sweep over the University of Alaska-Fairbanks this past weekend at the John MacInnes Student Ice Arena. On Friday, the team won their regular season opener 2-1. Saturday’s game followed suit with another 2-1 win.

Friday’s game started strong with Max Koskipirtti scoring the first goal only 15 seconds into the first period. However, despite the strong start, there were no further goals until Alaska tied the game in the second period. 

The Huskies were aggressive in the third period with 12 shots on Alaska’s goal, with  two of them reaching the back of the net. However, Elias Jansson’s rebound goal was called for high sticking and officials overturned Marcus Pederson’s power-play goal, determining the Huskies were offside on the play. 

With two disqualified goals, the Huskies were determined heading into overtime. Tech controlled possession of the puck for the majority of play until a blocked shot from Chase Pietila allowed Elias Jannsson to forehand the game-winning goal over the Alaskan goaltender. “We came out and got the win so that’s what is most important, but Alaska is a tough team,” Captain Chase Pietila said of the game. “They come hard and it’s hard to keep the momentum going when we get two goals called back, but we found a way to take over the third period and overtime.” 

Similar to Friday, Saturday’s game started fast with Stiven Sardarian earning his first career goal with Michigan Tech three and a half minutes into the first period. “I think it was a really important goal,” said Sardarian. “It’s great to have a close game so I am happy to help the team.” 

Michigan Tech kept up the pressure during the first period and Chase Pietila added to the lead with a power-play goal. However, Alaska responded with a rebound goal with only a minute and a half remaining in the first period. 

Neither team could find the back of the net during the final 40 minutes of play, even after Alaska pulled their goalie in the final period. Goaltender Max Varyenyn had a career-high 29 saves on Saturday, marking his fourth career win with Michigan Tech. 

Saturday’s game also saw Michigan Tech highlight Student Athlete Mental Health Awareness Week. Players wore green ribbon stickers on their helmets to show their support. Marcus Pederson also promoted the Huskies for Hope fundraiser, which is raising money and awareness for suicide prevention amongst athletes.

“We have to separate the sport of hockey from the individual,” Head Coach Joe Shawahn explained the importance of supporting the team’s mental health. “It starts with communication, and them feeling they have a family atmosphere and a lot of love and trust.” 

Tech has this upcoming week off, but will return to host Clarkson on Oct. 25 and Oct. 26 for another non-conference home series.