Published Weekly on Tuesdays
Office Located in Walker 105

MTU presented with Federal Counterintelligence Award

This past Friday, Oct 11, the MTU Board of Trustees met for the fourth time this year, at which time MTU was presented the Defense Counterintelligence and Security Agency (DSCA) Jack Donnelly Award for Excellence in Counterintelligence.

This award, presented by Andrew J. Lochli, the Assistant Director of Counterintelligence and Insider Threat, is awarded to just five of over 12,000 cleared domestic organizations by the DCSA every year. The award is given to leaders in implementing and abiding by successful countermeasures for intelligence threats from foreign actors. Lochli offered praise to Michigan Tech for its vigilance in countering intelligence threats, as well as its cooperation with authorities on security matters. “(MTU) embodies the creativity and innovation that is needed today,” said Lochli.

Both representatives for the district, Jack Bergman of the U.S. House of Representatives and Gregory Markkanen of the Michigan House of Representatives, were present for the award and offered praise to Michigan Tech’s efforts, emphasizing the value of this recognition not just for the campus, but the community as a whole. 

iChair of the Board of Trustees Steven Tomaszewsk specifically offered praise to Ramona Englund, Tech’s faculty security officer at the Keweenaw Research Center, for her dedication, work, and initiative, which was instrumental in MTU earning this honor. 

President Koubek also offered his praise to the faculty whose diligent work earned MTU this honor. “I am so proud of the faculty and staff who received this recognition and the commitment we have to national security at Michigan Tech… it is quite a recognition, befitting of Michigan Tech.”