Published Weekly on Tuesdays
Office Located in Walker 105

Places to view Fall colors in the Keweenaw

As the crisp autumn air settles into Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, the forests transform into vibrant landscapes of reds, oranges, and yellows, making the Keweenaw Peninsula an exceptional place to experience the beauty of the fall. Whether you’re into hiking or would just like to drive around to find the breathtaking views, the Keweenaw has plenty to offer for everyone’s style.

Brockway Mountain Drive is often considered the crown jewel for fall color enthusiasts and sight seekers alike. This scenic 8.8 mile road leads to the summit of Brockway Mountain, which offers panoramic views of Lake Superior and the colorful foliage below. Along the road, there are places to stop, stretch your legs, and enjoy more views on foot. When talking with Owen Jarvela, a Tech student out enjoying the fall colors, he said Brockway is a “must-see” for anyone in the area this time of year. Brockway Mountain Drive is located about an hour north of Michigan Tech’s campus just south of Copper Harbor. 

For hikers, Mount Baldy offers a six-mile loop trail to the summit, with gorgeous views of the colorful forest along with views of Lake Baldy and Lake Superior. The trailhead is located on Eagle Harbor Cutoff Road. Snacks and plenty of hydration are recommended, as the hike is a steady upward climb for its entirety. 

The local ski hills near Michigan Tech also offer an excellent place to take in the changing seasons. While Mont Ripley’s Fall Color Chairlift Tours just wrapped up this past weekend, it is still possible to take a short one-mile hike to the top to check out the views. When speaking to Chris Maxson, the Manager of Health and Safety at Michigan Tech and Mont Ripley, he said it’s not even just all about the colors, but a gorgeous view overlooking Michigan Tech, the bridge, and the Huron Mountains. 

Mount Bohemia also offers opportunities to check out the fall views. They have extended their chairlift tours through the weekend of Oct. 19-20, with tickets available to purchase online only. Alternatively, the Cliff View Trail gives sightseers an opportunity to hike around Mount Bohemia, bringing them to numerous lookout points to take advantage of the spectacular colors.