Published Weekly on Tuesdays
Office Located in Walker 105

Diving into Fall: Upcoming OAP events

The Outdoor Adventure Program (OAP) is leading the way into fall with two upcoming fall-themed events. The Keweenaw Color Tour Hike, a six-mile hike of Mt. Baldy, will take place on Saturday, Oct. 12, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Additionally, the Fall Break Canoe Trip in Copper Harbor will occur the following week, on Saturday, Oct. 19, from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Participants for the Keweenaw Color Tour Hike will meet at the OAP Rental Center on Sharon Avenue. Any students registered for the event are expected to be there by 10 a.m. They will hike to the top of Mt. Baldy and stop at Eagle River Falls, Jacobs Falls, and the Jampot on the way back to town. Students are required to bring closed-toed shoes, a water bottle, and their own lunch. Registration for this event is closed.

Registration for the Fall Break Canoe Trip closes Oct. 11 at 11:59 p.m. and is open to MTU students and the public, with a cost of $25. Participants are asked to meet at the OAP Rental Center at 2 p.m. and will canoe in the harbor for about 90 minutes before heading back into town. 

An OAP representative spoke with us about the possible experiences students can have on these outdoor adventures: “You’ll have the chance to soak in the sights at your own pace, guided by experienced leaders. With groups of up to 12-20 participants, you’ll have the opportunity to meet new friends in the area!” They stressed that transportation, as well as canoeing and hiking gear, will be provided for all participants. “Rest assured, we will provide transportation to and from both locations, along with all the necessary gear for your adventure.”