Published Weekly on Tuesdays
Office Located in Walker 105

Ford Center welcomes new classroom addition

This past Tuesday, Oct.1, marked the ribbon cutting for a new addition to the Ford Center, which is used by the College of Forest Resources and Environmental Science. The addition adds capacity to the conference room, which is used for lectures during CFRES students’ Integrated Field Practicum, better known as “Fall (or Summer) Camp”. As David Flashpohler, Dean of CFRES, said, “Like Michigan Tech, our college is growing,” as during the fall of 2023, the conference room capacity of 60 was met, as 61 students were in “Fall camp.” MTU President Koubeck went on to say “This investment… couldn’t come at a better and more appropriate time.”

The room includes large sliding doors that let in natural light. “I feel like I’m outside in this room,” stated Eric Brand, a third year in Wildlife Ecology. The addition complements the existing room with features such as a metal roof, laser cut MTU logo, and notably for students who spend the summer there, air conditioning. 

The ribbon cutting ceremony was also a celebration of the main donor, Lieutenant Colonel Steve Denis, who has been a consistent donor to Tech. Karin Van Dyke, the Director of Charitable Giving at MTU, stated, “He has given every single year for 57 years,” including two named scholarships for the ROTC program. When asked to give a few words, Lt. Col. Denis said, “I’m very happy with the results [of the room],” though he was “most impressed with the students.”

Overall, the room extension will be an appreciated addition to the Ford Center for years to come, and it’s largely thanks to the generosity of one man. As Provost Storer said, “Lt. Col. Denis, look what you’ve done.”