Published Weekly on Tuesdays
Office Located in Walker 105

Tech Student running for local seat in Government

Disclaimer: The following article is not an endorsement of the candidate in this article, however, The Lode wanted exposure for this special circumstance.

Election season is approaching. While the presidential race is a popular topic, another important race is happening closer to home. The Lode had the opportunity to sit down and talk with Brendan Leddy, a fourth year Social Sciences major with a Policy, Law, and Society Concentration, who is running for a seat on the Houghton City Council this upcoming November.

“Nobody who knows me is surprised that I am putting myself into this position,” Leddy began our interview. Leddy had been attending City Council meetings for the past year and a half, has been a resident of Houghton for three years, and also holds membership in Undergraduate Student Government (USG). “It just slowly but surely just started kinda like pushing me closer and closer to… getting me involved with public policy outside of Undergraduate Student Government,” Leddy said.

Leddy is currently working as the campaign manager for Kim Corcoran, who is running for Michigan House of Representatives District 110, located in the western UP. He says Corcoran gave him hope that people in public offices still listen to residents and address the concerns they have within the community. Wanting to uplift that idea himself, Leddy wants to work with both residents and students if elected. “I’m not done with Houghton,” Leddy said.

It is not too late to apply for an absentee ballot or register to vote for the Houghton City Council. Both can be done online. To register to vote or register for an absentee ballot, head to mvic.sos.state.mi.us/RegisterVoter. Online voter and absentee ballot registration must be done by Oct. 21, but voter registration may be done in-person on Election Day.