Published Weekly on Tuesdays
Office Located in Walker 105

Plaidurday celebrations and record breaking photo

Houghton residents will attempt to set the world record for the largest gathering of people wearing plaid on Friday, Oct. 4 at the Houghton High School Football Field. This event, called “Plaidurday,” is an annual celebration that occurs on the first Friday in October. Created by Marquette-based Bugsy Sailor, the celebration is an homage to Michigan’s Upper Peninsula and the common color schemes worn by locals.

In 2023, Visit Keweenaw decided to celebrate the holiday by attempting to break a 2019 world record of 1,359 people wearing plaid set by Canada. With help from the City of Houghton and Houghton High School, the first Keweenaw Plaidurday celebration was held. Persevering through the rain and wind, 1,745 individuals donned in plaid were photographed, including the Plaidurday founder himself.

In hopes of making the event an annual tradition, this year Visit Keweenaw is attempting to break the 2023 attendance record. Those who wish to be a part of the Plaidurday group picture are asked to arrive at the Houghton High School football field by 12:30 p.m. for the 1 p.m. photo.

A new event has also been added to this year’s Plaidurday celebration to build out the fun fall weekend. Brew Street will be open from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Lakeshore Drive at the downtown Houghton Pier. The event is a fundraiser for the Carnegie Museum of Houghton and will include food trucks, live music, and a brief history lesson on Houghton’s original lakeshore for attendees of all ages to enjoy.

Brew Street will also host a beer garden where attendees 21 and older can purchase Keweenaw Brewing Company’s Pick Axe Blonde Ale and Red Ridge Citrus Ale. Jesse Wiederhold, the Public Relations and Events Coordinator for Visit Keweenaw, says, “If you’re looking for something fun to do, this is going to be a great time.”

Following Plaidurday, the fall weekend festivities will continue on Saturday with the Keweenaw Color Run at 9:30 a.m. and Houghton’s Fall Fest from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Houghton Waterfront Pier.

Wiederhold claims that this fall weekend, “we’re going to party like the miners did.”