Published Weekly on Tuesdays
Office Located in Walker 105

Club Highlight – Silver Wings

Silver Wings is a national co-ed organization, intended to build the leaders of tomorrow through community service, professional development, and education on national defense. The organization allows students to attend national networking events, apply for exclusive scholarships, and give back to the community. The MTU chapter especially emphasizes community service, with many local volunteering events.. 

For instance, last year the chapter chopped wood for the charity group Little Brothers Friends of the Elderly, cleaned houses for the Village of Calumet, helped pack boxes at the UP Food Pantry, and had a bake sale fundraiser. In addition, the chapter holds fun events for its members including laser tag and organized hikes. The chapter intends to hold larger events in the future, however the club needs more growth before that is feasible. 

The organization’s small size has its benefits though. Members are in less competition when competing for the numerous internships, scholarships, and grants the organization offers. The Silver Wings also provides many rewarding opportunities. Chapter president Kaitlynn Zimmerman said, “Getting to interact with so many people, many of whom would not be able to do specific tasks without our help, makes me very happy.” 

The club is eager to recruit new members. Any students interested are welcome to join in on the chapter’s bi-weekly meetings in Fisher 125. The chapter’s next meeting will be on Monday, Oct. 7 at 6 p.m. Students can also sign up on Involvement Link or by emailing the organization at silverwings@mtu.edu.