Published Weekly on Tuesdays
Office Located in Walker 105

Keweenaw Pride hosts 25th Annual Drag Show at Michigan Tech

Six drag performers took to the stage at the SDC Wood Gym on Saturday, Sep. 21 for Michigan Tech’s 25th Annual Drag Show. The event was sponsored by Keweenaw Pride, a LGBTQIA+ and Straight Ally organization at Michigan Tech that seeks to provide an inclusive and supportive space for the queer community. The lineup of performers included drag kings and queens: Ari Blakk Diamond, Dr. Luv, Luc Ami, Khloe Daniels, Aurora Gozmic, and Vanda LaRose, who also served as emcee for the evening. 

The event helps celebrate the LGBTQIA+ community that exists in the Keweenaw and the Upper Peninsula at large. “It’s important to let people know that you are able to freely express yourself. It helps garner a sense of safety within the community,” said Neeve Donnelly, the Vice President and Activism Coordinator for Keweenaw Pride. 

With music from Earth, Wind, & Fire to Chappell Roan, each performance had a wide variety for everyone to enjoy. “You’ll sing along, clap along, it’s really interactive so you’ll have a great time,” commented Donnelly. 

“We love performing up here, between getting to expose smaller communities to the Queer community; the amazing town and location, we keep coming back to the same restaurants whenever we are in town; and the amazing student body you guys make this place such a safe and inviting place for anyone and a joy to perform for,” said emcee Vanda LaRose.