Published Weekly on Tuesdays
Office Located in Walker 105

Essentials on the New Essential Education Model

Michigan Technological University has recently announced a shift in its core academic curriculum, moving from the current general education model to a new “Essential Education” approach starting in 2025.

According to the administration, the Essential Education curriculum will focus on interdisciplinary learning, hands-on experience, and the development of key competencies such as critical thinking, communication, and ethical reasoning. The university’s leadership explained that the change reflects the evolving needs of both students and employers, emphasizing that graduates need more than just major-specific knowledge; they must also be adaptable, critical thinkers.  

As stated on Tech’s Essential Education Landing Page, “At Tech, we believe it is our responsibility to ensure that Huskies are prepared to enter and succeed in this changing world. Essential Education will give them the tools they need to become the culturally responsive, civically engaged leaders tomorrow needs.”

Essential Education focuses on four learning goals: Think Critically, Communicate, Adapt, and Transform. Each goal has three unique performance criteria, for a total of 12. The current learning goals for General Education includes eight goals and 41 performance criteria. The new change is purported to simplify general education requirements for students.

According to Essential Education source material, the new program will reduce the total credit load by five credits, as well as allow for “double counting” of an additional three to six credits from major-specific classes. To quote the Tech Forward Initiative, “All programs will have an effective three credit savings, leading to ‘truth in advertising’. Many programs will have an effective six credit savings.”

The Essential Education Leadership Team has set up weekly “office hours” for students or faculty to attend to learn more about the upcoming changes. Office hours and more information can be found at https://www.mtu.edu/essential-ed/