Published Weekly on Tuesdays
Office Located in Walker 105

Healthy minds, healthy bodies

An email from a University of Michigan account was sent to all students encouraging them to participate in the Healthy Minds Survey. This survey is administered at over 600 colleges by the University of Michigan and is used to inform mental health policy and practice. 

The survey, which is designed to assess student mental health, service utilization, and attitudes toward mental health on campuses nationwide, is an important resource for those whose job it is to protect that health. According to the Healthy Minds website, “Our goal is to help colleges and universities identify key areas for improvement and track the progress of initiatives aimed at improving student mental health.” The survey will hopefully help Michigan Tech to better adjust its mental health services based on the specific needs of the student body. Additionally, the survey provides insight for each student about tools used to identify symptoms of anxiety, depression, and eating disorders.

Some students have raised concerns over the authenticity of the recent email soliciting participation in the survey, with many questioning whether it might be a phishing attempt. “A few students reached out to the dean asking if the Healthy Minds email was real,” said a Center for Student Mental Health and Well-being counselor. However, the email is legitimate and you can expect many more asking for your participation. 

By taking just 25 to 30 minutes to complete the survey, students can help contribute to the improvement of mental health services on campus, ensuring that future initiatives address their real needs. Additionally, participants will be eligible for prize drawings each week ranging in value from $13 to $70.