Published Weekly on Tuesdays
Office Located in Walker 105

Women’s volleyball: weekend tournament

The MTU women’s volleyball team faced off against Findlay last Friday in their second game of the UP North Tournament. MTU lost to Findlay 0-3. The final game of the UP North Tournament took place last Saturday, where the Huskies fell to the St. Cloud State Huskies 1-3. 

On Friday, Findlay took the lead early in the first set with multiple back-to-back kills. MTU fought back hard, nearly taking the lead in the middle of the set, making the score 10-9 Findlay. In the end, Findlay was able to hold onto their lead and win the set 25-18. Findlay held a good lead throughout the second set, eventually winning the set 25-20.

MTU showed signs of a comeback early in the third set, fighting back against Findlay to turn the score to their favor. Findlay eventually retook the lead through multiple scoring streaks, resulting in them winning the set 25-17.

MTU’s head coach Matt Jennings said, “I’d like to see some more fight for sure, but we just gotta pick it up and go at it again,” when asked about how the team plans to bounce back from the loss. 

The first set of the Saturday game against St. Cloud started close with a total of nine ties and four lead changes before SCSU eventually passed MTU, ending the match with an 18-25 loss for the MTU Huskies. Tech proceeded to start strong in the second set, gaining a 5-0 lead. Despite this, the SCSU Huskies made a comeback tying at 10-10 and created a close set in the second half creating a close set with eight ties, causing a 25-27 loss and leaving our Huskies at a 0-2 trail at the break.

MTU trailed by as many as six points at the beginning of the third set but made an incredible comeback. Thanks to kills by Meg Raabe and Paige Wagner, the MTU Huskies won this set 25-21, creating an opportunity for a comeback. Unfortunately, that did not happen in the fourth and final set as Tech trailed, ending the set with another 18-25 loss. In the end, our Michigan Tech Huskies lost 1-3 with scores of 18-25, 25-27, 25-21, and 18-25. 

MTU’s next game will be at Purdue Northwest on Friday, Sep. 20 at 7:00 p.m. For more information regarding MTU women’s volleyball, please visit https://michigantechhuskies.com/sports/womens-volleyball/.