Published Weekly on Tuesdays
Office Located in Walker 105

Students prepare for upcoming career fair

Ensuring students make the most of career fair

This year’s Michigan Tech Career Fair, a major event at Michigan Technological University, will bring over 370 employers interested in hiring Huskies to campus on Tuesday, Sep. 24. The fair will be held in the Student Development Complex from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. All students will have a recess from class starting at 2 p.m. and ending at 4 p.m. to attend the fair. Career Services offers many resources to help students prepare for the fair and other recruitment opportunities. Recommendations from Career Services include wearing business attire, bringing printed updated resumes, preparing a printed name tag before the fair, and identifying potential employers of interest.

Students are encouraged to create or update their resumes. For assistance with drafting or revising resumes, students can meet with a career advisor in Career Services or attend one of the Resume Review Sessions. These sessions will be held on Wednesday, Sep. 18, and Thursday, Sep. 19, from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. at the Career Services Learning Center in Administration Building, Room 220. Additionally, on Monday, Sep. 23, students can have their resumes reviewed by corporate recruiters in the Library East Reading Room.

Michigan Tech provides additional tools to students in the Career Fair Plus app. Career Fair Plus lists all employers attending the fair, with brief company bios, the majors and school years they are interested in recruiting, and the types of positions available. Michigan Tech alumna and corporate recruiter for Nucor Steel Tessa Kriz stresses, “Showing interest in what a company does increases the chances that they will show an interest in you.”

Additionally, the Michigan Tech Career Services website offers additional tips for maximizing career opportunities and information on other Career Fair events.