Published Weekly on Tuesdays
Office Located in Walker 105

Houghton’s Social Disappointment

The Houghton Social District has been active for a quarter of a year, and as the summer tourism season winds down, now is a good time to reflect on how it can be better.

The express purpose of this program is to encourage tourism and breathe new life into ‘LOHO,’ or Lower Houghton, which was for so long defined by the parking garage’s shadow. But since its demolition in the summer of 2023, what was once seen as the dirty part of Houghton, full of dumpsters and bird poop, now has had its dumpsters caged and a fresh coat of paint applied. 

Along with these aesthetic changes, there is a snazzy new name reminiscent of New York City’s SOHO neighborhood. But while NYC has trendy, upscale shopping and art galleries, Houghton’s ‘LOHO’ is about one third parking lots, with its most exciting features being the library and a shortcut to the Keweenaw Brewing Company. While most days there is little to do but socialize, the social district shines during the events put on by the city like the farmers market, concerts, and the upcoming food truck gatherings. Without an event like this going on, there isn’t anything to draw people out of the establishment, other than perhaps the weather which is soon to turn. 

Houghton’s Social District is the smallest social district in the Upper Peninsula, and draws a bizarre distinction between the consumption area and the district boundary itself. While there are helpful signs at some entrances to the consumption area, some may find this distinction to be frustrating. Although the district brings a nice touch to events along the Portage, most days it serves as an afterthought.