Published Weekly on Tuesdays
Office Located in Walker 105

Start buying locally; Keweenaw Farmers Markets

Whether searching for fresh produce, baked goods, or even live music, look no further than your local farmers markets. The From the Ground Farmers Market Collective is a nonprofit organization hoping to build connections through local food by hosting four recurring markets in the Keweenaw Peninsula. Joan Chadde, the Director for the Keweenaw Co-op located in Hancock states that these markets are “the best way to get locally sourced food that’s good for you and reduces your climate impact.” 

Of the four markets put on by the collective, the closest to Michigan Tech’s campus is the Downtown Houghton Farmers Market, located on the Houghton Pier. This market occurs from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. every Tuesday until Oct. 8. “It’s a very welcoming environment, everyone’s really friendly”, said Amanda Makela, one of the Market Managers. The market is great for those looking for produce such as fruits and veggies. “This is one of the places you can actually get healthy food straight from the farmers that’s within walking distance,” said Cassandra Reed-Van Dam, another one of the Market Managers.

For students located in Hancock, the Hancock Tori and Farmers Market occurs every Thursday from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. on the Quincy Green of Hirvonen Hall until Oct. 10. The largest of the markets put on by the collective is the Calumet Farmers Market. With up to 33 vendors, this market is open every Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Agassiz Park until Oct. 12. 

After these outdoor markets close for the season, the Cool Season Market is hosted inside the historic Calumet Drill Shop. This market occurs on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. from Oct. 19 to Nov. 23. 

For students not carrying cash, the Market Table accepts credit and debit cards to purchase tokens to be used as payment with all market vendors. Amanda Makela, a co-manager for the From the Ground Farmers Market Collective, said,  “We can accept up to seven food assistant programs from both local and state-wide initiatives including the MTU HuskyFAN coupons that students can get at the Michigan Tech Food Pantry.” 

If you are interested in becoming a vendor or applying to be a featured entertainer, visit the website of the From the Ground Farmers Market Collective for more information.