Published Weekly on Tuesdays
Office Located in Walker 105

Tech releases first Satisfaction Survey summary in six years. Does it matter?

For the first time since the COVID pandemic, this bi-annual summary of student surveys was released. But does it tell students anything they don’t know? 

During the 2024 spring semester, the MTU Division of Student Affairs distributed a Student Satisfaction Survey. This was the first time one of these surveys has been completed since 2018, even though they should happen every two years. This delay was due to the COVID Pandemic and staff turnover. Recently, the survey results were released, revealing some interesting things about how students view the school, its administration, and the community here in Houghton. It should be noted that these findings are from 1,088 responses, meaning only around 20% of undergraduate students responded to the survey.

Overall, many statements returned positive responses for the school. Over 70% of responses to the following statements were either “agree” or “strongly agree:” “I am satisfied with my experience at Michigan Tech,” “I feel I belong (feel accepted/fit in) at Michigan Tech,” “Michigan Tech has met my expectations,” “Michigan Tech is a place where I am able to perform up to my full potential,” and “I am treated fairly and equitably at Michigan Tech.”

These positive responses are good, however they are boring. The far more interesting responses are those which indicate the school has something to improve upon. One of these is in response to the statement, “Students have a voice in University decisions,” to which 50% of responses either “strongly disagree” or “somewhat disagree.” Unsurprisingly, the question with the highest percentage of negative responses was regarding campus parking. The second most negative response was about campus dining. Finally, other responses to the questionnaire include concern over the “prevalence of hate speech on campus, particularly towards LGBTQ students and a lack of response to these incidents.”

So what will change with this feedback? At the end of the report is a section on the next steps the university will take, which starts with releasing the data from this survey. Other inclusions are focused on increasing communication from members of the University Administration staff, which includes a “Dean’s Corner” section added to the Student Scoop, as well as a new website to communicate campus updates better and work on “dispelling some common rumors.” They are also creating a Free Speech Education Team to better educate and support those demonstrating or protesting on campus.Finally, they are rebranding the Student Commission. 

The big question overall is, “Does any of this matter?” A lot of the next steps the university will make seem empty on the surface. From a student’s perspective, it looks like they are trying to create an illusion of student voice in university decisions. Acts like “Rebranding the Student Commission” or “dispelling common rumors” sound empty, and seem to blame students. Hopefully, I am wrong on these takeaways, but only time will tell.