Published Weekly on Tuesdays
Office Located in Walker 105

New head soccer coach at Michigan Tech

The Division II Women’s Soccer team at Michigan Tech has a new head coach, Melissa Kuhar. 

When asked to describe their coaching style in three words, Kuhar described her style as “demanding, supportive, high energy and most of all fun.” When asked what the team was good at, Kuhar said, “The team gets along with each other super well and is super hard working. I never have to question the effort that this team puts in.” When asked to comment on what needs work, Kuhar said, “This team needs to work on attention to detail.” In the upcoming season, she looks forward to not only winning games, but watching the team improve their skills on the field.

Kuhar has extensive experience in coaching soccer at the collegiate level. Before joining the team at Michigan Tech, Kuhar was an assistant coach at Drury University for four seasons. During those four seasons, the Drury team achieved a total record of 39-18-15 and a Great Lakes Valley Conference win in 2021. The same year the Drury team won their conference, Kuhar and head coach at the time, Justin Olson, were awarded NCAA Midwest Region Coaching Staff of the Year. Before Drury, Kuhar was an assistant coach at Bethany College under Coach Olson where the team went 27-24-4. Kuhar is excited about the environment that this university and the surrounding community facilitate, rain or shine.

Sophomore Claire Sampson noted this preseason under Kuhar has seen a “big improvement” from last year, highlighting a stronger sense of family within the team. Sampson added that the team is aligned on its season goals and is responding well to Kuhar’s coaching style.

The Huskies won both preseason scrimmages, boosting confidence in Kuhar and the team ahead of their season opener. Kuhar said, “Constantly getting better is my biggest goal,” as well as focusing on continuous improvement, paying attention to detail, maximizing the athletes’ potential, and learning who works best with each other on the field.

MTU will kick off their season on Sep. 5 at St. Cloud State. Following their opener, the team will play on the road against the University of Minnesota Duluth on Sep. 7, and Northwood University on Sep. 17. Fans will have their first opportunity to support the Huskies at home on Friday, Sep. 20, when they face Davenport in their first GLIAC game at Kearly Stadium at 6 p.m.