Published Weekly on Tuesdays
Office Located in Walker 105

A handbook to local living

Whether you’re a nature enthusiast, a food aficionado, or a sports fanatic, the Houghton and Hancock area offers a diverse array of activities to enrich your university experience. 

For those craving outdoor adventures, Houghton’s hiking trails beckon. Explore the scenic wonders of Hungarian Falls, Redridge, Douglass-Houghton Falls, and Jacobs Falls, providing a tranquil escape from campus life. To find the locations of the trailheads, students can use Google or Apple Maps, or search on the AllTrails app to find more local trails. 

When it comes to shopping, downtown Houghton presents a charming array of boutiques and local businesses. For everyday necessities and groceries, there is the Tadych’s Food Market in Houghton. The Keweenaw Cooperative (Co-op) market across the bridge in Hancock offers a sustainable shopping experience. The cheapest and most utilized shopping option is, of course, Walmart. 

Students can engage in athletic activities to stay active and foster a sense of community. Whether you’re cheering on Michigan Tech teams or participating in recreational sports leagues, Houghton provides ample opportunities to stay fit and connect with peers. Intramural (IM) sports are easy to join, so find a group and get active! There are also many community groups, including the running club based out of the Copper Country Running Co. store in downtown Houghton. 

If you enjoy trying new restaurants, Houghton has many different styles that can satisfy any craving. For authentic Mexican cuisine, La Cantina in Hancock is your place. If you like sushi or bubble tea, Sky Sushi is the place to try. If you are craving some Chinese, Ming’s Asian Bistro or Hunan Garden can satisfy your desires. Some of the other local favorites are Joey’s Seafood for their fresh seafood, Roy’s Pasties & Bakery for their stellar pasties, and the renowned Jampot for a taste of UP flavors in the form of baked goods and preserves. 

Immerse yourself in the local culture by attending community events such as the farmer’s markets in Houghton, Hancock, Lake Linden, Chassell, and Calumet. Experience the rich diversity of the region at the annual Parade of Nations and enjoy entertainment at the historic Orpheum Theatre or the modern Rozsa Center. 

As you settle into university life, Houghton invites you to explore its offerings and create lasting memories in this dynamic community. Embrace the opportunities that await and make the most of your time in the Keweenaw.