Published Weekly on Tuesdays
Office Located in Walker 105

Film Board showing “Knives Out” this weekend

Looking for something fun to do this weekend? Well, the Film Board’s got you covered! 

The Michigan Tech Film Board is one of the oldest clubs on campus. They are a student-run organization that presents movies every weekend of the school year in Fisher 135. Film Board will show “Knives Out”(2019) this Friday and Saturday at 5:30, 8:30 and 11:30 p.m. 

“Knives Out”is a murder-mystery film that follows the famed private detective Benoit Blanc, who was summoned to investigate the death of bestselling author Harlan Thrombey. Film Board Secretary Kolby Swanson provided some insight on this week’s movie selection. “When we heard the theme of the Welcome Week was ‘Clue,’ we knew we had to show ‘Knives Out’ as our film for that week,” said Swanson. “The decision was unanimous.” 

Movie suggestions are made months in advance by a movie committee that meets after the club’s general meeting. “Once we have all of the suggestions we then vote on which ones we think will have the best attendance, which are typically the big blockbuster movies that did very well in the box office,” noted Swanson. Some upcoming shows for this semester are recent releases such as “Dune: Part Two”, “Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire”, and “Monkey Man.” Tickets are $3 per person, while concessions, including popcorn, soda, candy, and other snacks are available to purchase at $1 each. Film Board members receive free admission, popcorn, and bottled water for themselves and up to four friends once per weekend. To become a member, students need to attend at least two Film Board general meetings. 

For more information about the Film Board and upcoming shows, visit their website at filmboard.mtu.edu or attend one of their weekly meetings in Fisher 127 at 6 p.m. every Tuesday.