Published Weekly on Tuesdays
Office Located in Walker 105

News you can use: Successfully navigate MTU’s campus

Learn more about what Michigan Tech has to offer

Michigan Tech offers a wide array of services and amenities to its students. However, these amenities are only valuable so long as you know they exist and how to use them. Here is a collection of some important information to successfully navigate campus. 

A major resource for students is the J. Robert Van Pelt and John and Ruanne Opie Library. The library offers several different services including reservable student study rooms, a meditation space for quiet contemplation, and calculators and other productivity tools that can be borrowed. Student study rooms of various sizes are available to reserve through the library’s website at mtu.libcal.com/booking/study_rooms. Each study room can be reserved in hourly time slots up to a maximum of four hours in any given day. While most of the services above are not available 24/7, students do have access to the first and second floor at any point in the day (or night). The main entrance locks when the library is closed, but students can still enter the library at any time through the west entrance by tapping their HuskyCard. 

Another useful amenity at Michigan Tech is Transportation Services. Transportation Services provides shuttle service around campus and throughout downtown Houghton. There are three main shuttle routes: the Husky Campus Shuttle which has stops at various locations around campus, and in the evening has stops at shopping locations such as Walmart and Tadych’s; the City Commuter Shuttle for those who commute to campus from Houghton; and the Hancock Commuter Shuttle for those who commute to campus from Hancock. Schedules for each of these shuttles can be found at mtu.edu/transportation/options/shuttle/, and there is also a free app called “TripShot” which has detailed information about the shuttle routes. Riders using “TripShot” must use their MTU email address, and enter “MTU” when prompted for a service name. 

Michigan Tech is also a very bike friendly campus and offers many services to make biking more accessible. These services range from free bike registration, a plethora of bike racks to safely park and lock your bike, and free bike storage in the residence halls over the winter. However, it is incredibly important to be conscious of pedestrians when biking through campus. Going at a reasonable pace helps to ensure everyone’s safety, as well as giving those on foot the right of way

One last useful bit of information concerns the newly built H-STEM building. Inside are non-gendered bathrooms containing large individual stalls. Each stall has its own mirror, sink, and toilet, allowing for a private and comfortable bathroom experience.

From meditation spaces to bike storage, Michigan Tech offers many amenities to simplify life on campus for students. The J. Robert Van Pelt and John and Ruanne Opie Library, Transportation Services, bike friendly considerations, and private spaces in the H-STEM building provide valuable opportunities to students, and can be utilized as needed.