This week in USG

The Undergraduate Student Government met this past Wednesday. Mason Krause, USG President, opened with some hopeful news: “[The academic calendar committee] will hopefully be voting, assuming it gets moved and proposed, they will be moving spring break back to week eight starting in 2026.” 

From the Events committee, we learned that the Wisconsin/Chicago break buses were very successful. Their growing ticket sales make them likely to be a staple of future breaks. The Student Affairs committee has two events coming up. First, on Mar. 21, they will be hosting a focus group to discuss plans on a commuter lounge. The meeting will be from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the Datolite Room of the MUB. The second event is partnered with the AI working group, and will feature a discussion to talk about MTU’s future policies on AI’s use. More information about the date and time of this event are to be released soon. 

In addition to these events, the Ways and Means committee is almost done with budget hearings. Registered student organizations (RSO’s) will get their initial budget allocations soon. New and unfinished business brings up an allocation of $1,950 for the Maple Syrup club to order equipment to refine their sap, so be on the lookout for their syrup to be available soon. There were also discussions tabled for next week over body barn allocations.The body barn is an on-campus RSO storage facility. USG wants to ensure RSOs with body barn allocations are staying on top of their commitments. 

If you would like to attend USG meetings, they are located in the Alumni Lounge (107) in the Memorial Union Building from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Wednesdays. If you would like to learn more, feel free to visit the USG website at https://www.usgatmtu.mtu.edu/.