Welcome back: a roundup of campus events

New year, new semester! As things will follow a similar routine in spring semester as they did in fall concerning virtual classes, audience-free hockey games, and safety protocols on and off campus, there is definitely room for boredom to fester during the new semester. To prevent such a lull in the spring semester, many student groups are offering great activities for Michigan Tech students to participate in, both in-person and online. 

First up is the Fireside Fair, a new Michigan Tech tradition brought to campus by Student Leadership and Involvement. This spring semester involvement fair can help bring you in touch with the wide variety of student organizations available on campus, for each and every interest. The Fireside Involvement Fair will take place Thursday, Jan. 14 from 1 to 3 p.m. You can check out more information here

Looking for something to do this weekend but don’t want to leave the comfort and safety of your bedroom? Want to get involved with on-campus groups, but you’re staying home for the spring semester? If so, MUB Board has the perfect welcome back activity to cure you of your boredom. Join them via Zoom for an evening of Zoom Breakout Games on Saturday, Jan. 16 at 7 p.m. They’ll have breakout rooms hosting online rounds of Jackbox Games, Skribbl.io, Among Us and more! If you can’t make their event, these games are also great alternatives to in-person gatherings with friends. 

For those of you who will be on campus next week, MUB Board is also providing a sweet start to the spring semester with their Donut Panic event! They’ll be handing out free donuts, while supplies last, in the library lobby from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 19, just in time for Michigan Tech’s return to partial in-person classes. Who doesn’t love a good donut, especially a free one?

If you’re looking for something to express your creative side, MUB Board is offering take-and-make puzzle kits for Michigan Tech students. While supplies last, students can go and grab a blank 8”x10” puzzle and markers so they can design their very own puzzle. On a cold, snowy evening, after a long day of classes and homework, what better way is there to relax than by completing this creative endeavour? Stop by the MUB Commons on Thursday, Jan. 21 from 7 to 9 p.m. to get your free puzzle kit. 

Michigan Tech’s very own radio station, WMTU 91.9 FM, is offering a virtual Music Trivia Night. The top three participants will walk away with some WMTU swag, and the number one competitor will earn the sweet bragging rights of being WMTU Music Trivia Champion 2021. WMTU will test you on your knowledge of “pop artists, classic rock, song lyrics, moments in music history, and much more,” according to the event’s Involvement Link page. Does this sound like a fun time? Then join them via Zoom on Tuesday, Jan. 26 at 6 p.m. The trivia portion of the night will take place on Kahoot

If this lineup of events is anything to judge by, this semester is sure to be free of boredom, even if we can’t meet as much in person. Besides, broomball season starts soon, Mont Ripley is open, and the Keweenaw’s beautiful winter weather has arrived, so there’s much to do! Also don’t forget — Winter Carnival looms in the horizon, and Blue Key has promised to bring back as much of the typical fun as they safely can.