ASME provides a place for ME students to connect

If you’re a Michigan Tech student, then chances are you know a mechanical engineering student. Maybe it’s a close friend, your neighbor, or a classmate, either way, we all know one. Mechanical Engineering is the most common major at Michigan Tech, according to a report by the university from 2019. Oddly enough, many students may not be aware that there is a student organization dedicated to mechanical engineering students here at Tech! According to ASME at MTU’s president, Valerie Lynch, the group is “a chapter of a global professional society specifically for mechanical engineers.”

The global organization’s goal is to serve diverse communities with the applications of engineering in every aspect of life. Made up of professional engineers, academics and students alike, ASME as a whole is a professional organization for those in the mechanical engineering field. Michigan Tech’s version of the organization is dedicated to the advancement and success of Tech students.

Beyond an experience for mechanical engineering students to network and make friends with similar interests, ASME also offers unique opportunities relevant to the Michigan Tech experience. The group offers a chance for students to network with companies interested in hiring mechanical engineers, in a variety of business types. Past activities include a tour of the Keweenaw Brewing Company, resume reviews with representatives from Ford, presentations from Georgia Pacific and Marathon and more! They also participate in fun design challenges as a group, such as Lego competitions and a Sharpie Launcher Challenge, where they used limited supplies to create a design to launch a Sharpie. 

ASME is open to all Michigan Tech students with an interest in mechanical engineering. If you’re interested in joining, reach out to President Valerie Lynch at vrlynch@mtu.edu or Secretary Abby Bevilacqua at aabevila@mtu.edu. You can also join them on Involvement Link to stay up to date on meeting and event times. They are also available on Instagram @asme.mtu.