Beta Sigma Theta: upholding faith, brotherhood and scholarship

Greek life is a big part of Michigan Tech’s campus culture, and if you’re looking to join a fraternity, Beta Sigma Theta may be the one for you! The group was established in 1973, and has been a part of MTU ever since. According to Dominic Sobocinski, the fraternity’s Philanthropy Chairman and Secretary, Beta Sigma Theta was created to produce “highly respected, well-adjusted, informed and socially acceptable gentlemen.” Members work to enhance the social and academic lives of those at Michigan Tech. The local chapter of the fraternity focuses on the ideals of Faith, Brotherhood and Scholarship. 

The Michigan Tech chapter of Beta Sigma Theta is deeply rooted in the local community. They enjoy participating in Tech traditions, like the cardboard boat races, Winter Carnival competitions and broomball. “Participating in school events such as Winter Carnival and Homecoming is great,” Sobocinski says of the group’s involvement on-campus. “We love showing that Husky Pride.” Events like these offer a chance for the brothers to showcase innovation and leadership, ideals important to both the university and the fraternity. 

In addition to on-campus involvement, Beta Sigma Theta members also focus on service and dedicate their time to local causes, like Little Brothers – Friends of the Elderly and Habitat for Humanity. Helping out the elderly in the local Copper Country community is a favorite event for many Beta Sigma Theta brothers. They enjoy making a difference in their lives, whether it’s through small things like chopping wood or delivering meals, or larger things like organizing holiday parties for them.

This semester, the group is hosting a pumpkin carving competition, with proceeds being donated to a charity. From Oct. 27-30, people interested in joining can drop off a carved pumpkin (labeled with name and contact information) at the Beta Sigma Theta house, located at 1210 College Avenue in Houghton. An entry fee of $5 can be submitted via Venmo (@BetSigs) or by placing the amount in cash in an envelope (labeled with participant’s name) in their mailbox. On the 29th, there will be a pumpkin carving blitz at the house where people can purchase a pumpkin, carve it and enter the competition all in one place.

To join Beta Sigma Theta, interested individuals must attend rush events to familiarize themselves with the brothers and the fraternity’s culture and beliefs. Once the desired characteristics have been seen in the individual, the fraternity will extend a bid to join the house. If the person accepts, they will continue to learn more about the fraternity and its brothers. Rush events can be found advertised on campus, on Involvement Link, and on the group’s social media.