Tech Tutors offer free services to local K-12 students

Last spring, students across the world drifted into unknown territory as many schools and universities went online due to the COVID-19 pandemic. As Michigan Tech and local K-12 schools in the Copper Country entered the realm of virtual education, parents, students and educators alike worried about the educational gaps between online and in-person learning. A group of Michigan Tech students rose to the challenge last March as they formed an organization called Tech Tutors. The group, which is still running strong this semester, provides local K-12 students with individualized supplementation to their everyday learning and additional educational opportunities available outside the classroom, all free of charge. 

Many students are still struggling to learn online, and our goal is to help these students through these hardships,” says Lydia Savatsky, president of the organization. Their volunteers offer tutoring services in a variety of subjects, from kindergarten to grade 12. Their current subject list includes math, science, reading/writing and social studies, as well as two foreign languages (Spanish and French). 

In addition to their tutoring services, the group also offers students a unique experience they wouldn’t find within the virtual classroom. Through their contact with MTU students, the kids are able to explore different career pathways and learn new and exciting topics in STEM and the humanities. If students are having trouble with just a few things in their studies, Tech Tutors’ website offers students a place to ask some questions without booking an entire appointment.

Beyond benefits in the local community, Tech Tutors boasts great experience for its own tutors as well. “Some of our tutors want to become professors or teachers in the future, and this is a great stepping stone for them,” Savatsky says. “This organization encourages Michigan Tech students to step outside of their comfort zone, become leaders, and help K-12 students who are struggling to learn during the pandemic.”

While Tech Tutors is not yet a Registered Student Organization (RSO), they are very involved in the local community and are completing paperwork to become an RSO this semester. Currently, they are only offering services to the local Keweenaw area, but are hoping to expand their services soon across the Upper Peninsula, Michigan, and the Midwest. According to Savatsky, the group is also hoping to host in-person tutoring events, once the COVID-19 pandemic is over.

Michigan Tech students interested in joining the organization can fill out this application on their website. Area K-12 students and parents can book a free appointment with the tutors here, but please note that sessions must be booked at least 24 hours in advance. You can also reach out to the group with any questions by emailing them at techtutors@mtu.edu or by calling them at (906) 487-2219. 

Interested in seeing your student organization featured in The Lode? Email us at lodesubmit@mtu.edu for more information.